Scrolling Marquee with text links

Friday, February 15, 2008

If you could acquire 1 player at the deadline...who?

Who would it be? Mine would be no other than...

Marian Hossa.

This team NEEDS and I mean NEEDS offense. How many times have you been watching them go down 2-0 and go, shit it is over? I know I do. How many times have you seen us go up by 2 goals, and go shit we are going to lose? I know I do. (Doesn't happen much but...)

I know it is a good thing to win close games, which is necessary in the playoffs, but it is NOT good to win all your games by a close margin. The reason why I say shit we are going to lose when we are up 2 is because, a) the other team has good offensive players and teams can score quickly, and b) because I doubt the offense will score more.

The last game vs. Pitt. We were up 2-0 in the first 12 minutes, and then did not score the rest of the game. We won 2-1. That is the type of game where you need to score more and put the game away.

Our offense has mounted 1 major comeback this season versus Pittsburgh down 4-0. Our team doesn't have a 20 goal scorer. I am not expecting the team win the Stanley Cup, but if they want to be competative, they need to find a better balance of offense versus defense. While the defense has improved, the offense has not. The Bruins are one of the WORST offensive teams since 2005-06.

Imagine this team without Marc Savard. Yeah, tell me about it.

While you can blame Bergeron being out, and so on, the fact is, even with him, we still wouldn't be a good offensive team. We don't have that 40 goal scorer or 110 point guy like San Jose, Pittsburgh, Ottawa, Detroit or Anaheim.

Look, you can say, well we need a puckmoving defenseman. But you are wrong. Does it really matter if we have one or not if we just dump the puck in all the time. You need skilled forwards to bring the puck into the zone WITH posession.

While Kobasew has been a plesant surprise, and Kessel has improved, there also have been dissappointments. Schaefer, Murray, Sturm to some degree.

And I also know that even by loading up on offense, you aren't guaranteed to score. The Rangers signed Gomez, Drury, on top of having Shanahan, Jagr, Prucha, Avery... (Even though I told you they were overrated and Drury and Gomez were not that good).

This where Hossa comes in. The wing posistion is no longer that pure sniper with a sick shot. Now it is a combination of speed, shot, and stick handling. The wingers now have to be able to deke 1-2 players and score. They have to be able to make nothing something. That is why guys like Muzz, Shanahan, Guerin and others are struggling in this new NHL.

Hossa is one of the top wingers in the league. He averages around 40 goals. He also has played with both Savard and Zdeno Chara, so there is some chemistry.

I wouldn't sell the house for Hossa. I'd give up a similar package that Edmonton got for Ryan Smyth. A prospect, a number 1 and a 3-4th liner. 1st rounder, Schaefer/Metropolit and a Sobotka/Krecji type. Not Lucic.

3 Comments:

Blogger Walshie said...

Hossa or Ryan Smyth is the guys I'd want. I think Smyth would be a great fit in Boston, with his grittyness.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

To bad Smyth signed a long term deal with Colorado and is injured. Smyth would've been a good fit, but I'd rather see Hossa.

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smyth...are you kidding me !?!?! Another grinder and an overpaid one at that. This team needs goals !

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter