Scrolling Marquee with text links

Friday, June 15, 2007

Lewis, Relieved of Duties...

BOSTON, MA – Boston Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli announced today that the club has relieved Head Coach Dave Lewis and Associate Coach Marc Habscheid of their coaching duties, and will reassign them to other positions within the club.

“Since the season has ended I have completed a thorough review of the team and the coaching staff, and I have determined that Dave Lewis and Marc Habscheid are not the proper fit for the Bruins at this time,” said Chiarelli. “I have a short list of candidates in mind, and I hope to have a new Head Coach in place in the near future.

“I want to thank Dave and Marc for their hard work and dedication this past year, and I am certain that they will have success in their future endeavors.”Lewis, who became the 27th head coach in Bruins history on June 29, 2006, finished the 2006-2007 season with a record of 35-41-6.

Prior to joining the Bruins, Lewis served as the Head Coach of the Detroit Red Wings from 2002-2004, where he amassed a record of 96-41-21-6.Habscheid was named to Dave Lewis’ staff on July 13, 2006 following two years as the Head Coach of Canada’s National Men’s team.

Doug Houda, the third member of the Bruins 2006-2007 coaching staff, will remain in his position.

Matt's Take: Saw this out of nowhere. I don't know what to say. I think the fans wanted it. But I still find it a little unfair to place all the blame on Lewis. I'll have analysis later.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel this happened about a half season too late! I do fault a lot of the problems with this team on Lewis. Listen to what the players who were traded away said publicly! Look at how Boyes improved on an even weaker team in St.Louis after he left. Look at how many minutes Jurcina played immediately for the Caps!
Lewis forced PC to trade Jurcina. And to be honest, I'd give Washington a 3rd rounder to get him back.
Brad Stuart said he felt held back. PJ was being played on the first line when he is a checking line winger. York was getting played over Lashoff and Stuart. Kessel was being played on the 3rd and 4th lines. PC said in the papers that all Bochenski needed was a good center to play with, and Lewis puts him with Primeau and Mowers?!!
The writing was on the wall. Lewis did nothing with the powerhouse that Scottie left him in Detroit, why did we think he could rebuild this franchise?
I really hope it is not Pat Quinn. I'd like to see Burns come back, or even bring in Julien.
Way to go PC!! You fumbled the Jurcina and Boyes trades, but you redeemed yourself here!!

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that Lewis didn't put the players in the best decision, but I think the overall talent of the team wasn't great either. I'm still undecided whether to place the blame ENTIRELY on him.

9:43 PM  
Blogger bruinmann77 said...

wow have to say i was shocked by this Move. But he was not the right man for the Job,and Glad Chira realize he made a mistake here

2:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't Entirely blame him.... that is why I put "I do fault a lot". I think the Bruins had a decent core team.... We all did. But I think switching lines around so much didn't allow any chemistry. Look at how well Sturm, Bergeron and Boyes played at the end of the previous year. But they were hardly ever together on a line with Lewis as coach.
To be honest, I think a lot of the players gave up on him. I'm sorry, but a team with Chara, Savard, Murray, Bergeron, Sturm, Kessel, and Brad Stuart (at the time) should not finish last in the East.
Lets see how it plays out, and who Peter brings in. Again... I hope it isn't Quinn. Maybe bring back O'Reilly or even try and pry Melrose away from his ESPN gig.

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter